Monday, June 13, 2011

camping.

Rob and I had another opportunity to go camping this weekend. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't much better than it was when we were camping a couple of weekends ago. Fortunately, we did see some sun and I have the sunburn to prove it! I don't know about for Rob, but this weekend of camping did cause me to think back to the 3:30am phone call we received during our last camping adventure. It's hard to believe that it's only [already] been two weeks since Darcy passed away. I can't decide if it seems like forever ago or like yesterday.

Thankfully, this weekend was a bit more celebratory! Not for any particular reason - if only because this is year 11 or 12 or 13 or something equally outrageous that my family has camped together with 5 other families. As Rob and I sat around the fire on Friday night, I leaned over and said to him, "Wow, things sure are different than they were way back then." I commented on the fact that it was 10:30pm and not long ago, half of the group would have already been asleep due to having a bedtime, some of the people around the fire wouldn't have even been there (but I'm thankful they are now!) due to recent weddings, and the 4 or 5 kids drinking Dr. Pepper (cans handed out by one of the parents, nonetheless!) just before 11pm certainly wouldn't have been happening either! 

But, aside from all of that, and aside from the fact that the group was significantly smaller this year due to lots of the kids having to work or having other plans, there's something about tradition and faithfulness and good friends. There's something really good about it. And I am thankful.

The weather was cool and windy most of the time, except for Friday afternoon- which I spent reading in the sun - and Sunday just before we left. So, all that to say, there was a lot of sitting around the fire and not much picture taking. In fact, I have a grand total of 4 pictures from the weekend...and one of them was actually taken when we got home. Oops. 

My dad and brother on Sunday morning: watching the ladies (and Rob) do the packing, if I remember correctly.
Rachel showing off her mad tennis skills on Friday night.
Bright blue skies, deep blue water, and sunshine...on Sunday afternoon as we drove out of the campground to go home.

Home Sweet Home - with a carload of camping gear to unload.
Sunburned, sleepy and ready for a shower. Isn't that what camping is all about?

I may only have 4 pictures and maybe we haven't taken a "kid picture" in 3 years due to the fact that 16+ of us kids are never there at the same time - or at all - anymore, but that doesn't mean it's a weekend that we don't look forward to year after year after year. So thankful for family and friend traditions. And for a husband who loves to enjoy them with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment